Learn My History Foundation (LMH) is Dedicated to Youth Empowerment, Education & Change.
I. SUMMARY - Who What Where When & Why
* Who We Are: LMH is a Multicultural Mass-Mentoring non-profit.
* What We Do: Our fusion facilitates presentations and performances that help bridge the gap to the younger generation. by volunteer educators, entertainers and business professionals to awaken and celebrate hidden potential of youth. We encourage youth to be leaders and not statistics by bringing positive attention to influential, inspirational individuals.
What does “at-risk” mean?
An “at-risk” youth usually a student, is one who by virtue of their circumstances, is statistically more likely to fail academically. In the United States, there are many different definitions of “at risk”; including those with behavioral issues, minorities, the disabled, students who make lower grades (academically disadvantaged), peer pressured students and those of lower income, or one parent households.
With this in mind, by way of inter-generational education, LMH defines the present by learning from the past, so young minds; especially at-risk individuals, can look forward to a more brilliant future. Subsequently, this may help counter the negative influences from current media campaigns, gang activity, and mis-educated peers.
Our target population is: the overwhelming number of multicultural at-risk youth of all races and genders, from communities where lower socioeconomic status is prevalent. Many of them are unaware that they are even at-risk, and do not have adults in their lives to engage them to this effect.
We aim to reach middle and high school aged youth, and unfortunately, this range correlates with high rates of chemical abuse, crime, the development of poor coping skills, under-age parenting or teen pregnancy, inadequate education, and high risk sexual behavior where HIV/ AIDS, and other STI’s are contracted and left untreated. LMHF addresses these specific concerns with onsite guidance from speakers like those from the Board of Health for example, who may answer confidential questions, provide protection, brochures, and counseling locations, all in an attempt to lower dangerous risks. These individuals include those who have studied this history. Youth mentors are available for in-person or ‘e’ correspondence connection, as well as information about appropriate youth and law enforcement interaction for prevention of certain situations.
* Where We Operate - LMH operates in various educational, multi-cultural or community locations
* When - We strive for 2-3 events throughout the year and ongoing community programs.
* Why - Are We Doing This Campaign & How Does LMHF Work? –
This Campaign is necessary to raise needed funds to achieve our organizations goals in the most comprehensive way possible. We seek the current and future support from investors who believe in the mission and vision of the organization, who are able to partner fiscally, and possibly as professional mentors. Of course, we also seek the continued and future support of caring people within our target population of youth and professional adults, and parents of children.
II. STRATEGY - WHY THIS WORKS WHERE SOME HAVE NOT?
1. Our events are focused on outreach to a critical mass of at-risk youth, as opposed to focusing primarily on one-to-one mentoring. It is proven that our successes have bred other successes. For example, parents have reported a significant raise in the self-esteem of their children, and another young man reported that the LMH program and mentoring by the LMH Executive Director has inspired him to research and accomplish his goal of becoming an EMT for the Fire Department, where he is currently employed.
We are mindful, that there are not always enough mentors to go around, and that some youth may be harder to engage. We aim to provide youth with influential information professionals who provide statistics and strategic options youth can use immediately, to potentially live healthier and happier lives. Our events promote insight, growth, and consequential thinking.
2. Our mentors are men and women who have enough clout, presence, notoriety, and professionalism to influence youth who are typically hard-to-reach.
3. Our group of mentoring professionals is diverse, multicultural, and directly reflects the communities where we work. This reflection provides youth with a sense of empowerment, hope, and self-esteem.
III. IMMEDIATE & LONG TERM SUCCESS MEASURES
1. The immediate goal is to save lives. The measure of success is the degree to which the life-saving information provided by LMH helps young people identify, then modify and improve their actions now.
2. The long-term goal is for young adults to benefit from the wisdom and knowledge by successful people – both of their own generation and preceding generations, to break cycles of crime, poverty and underachievement.
LMH will circulate surveys to evaluate each event’s success, what the audience learned or benefited from and enjoyed most, and garnering sights and suggestions for improving the LMH experience. We will then incorporate their feedback to keep programs as fresh and effective as possible. Past surveys show LMH's personal mentoring connections between speakers and teens work!
IV. Operations and Sustainability
LMH is in need of fiscal support in order to engage in sustainability efforts as well as manage the day-to-day functions of the organization. This specifically includes grant writers, clerical workers, event planners, and accountants. The sustainability of the program at present, relies heavily on the marketable visibility of our annual events. We aim to receive adequate funding in order to ensure that they are measurably successful. It is here, that a critical mass of at-risk youth can hear our message, and possibly match with available mentors.
Like any non-profit organization, Learn My History must increase its donor base to grow. With more funding we can increase the number of events we host per year, allow for full and part-time staff and intern programs, and ultimately help more young people escape their circumstances.